Jack Pennington Ltd is constantly looking to reduce its impact on the environment. A significant amount of work has been undertaken to reduce and better manage the volume and handling of waste both within our business and directly impacting on our customers.
Through this process we have reduced our waste sent to landfill by over 70% in the last 16 months and the aim is to make further reductions before the end of the calendar year.
This has been reduced by:
- Re-using as much material as possible
- Use and re-use cardboard and recyclable packaging materials wherever possible
- Introduction of three bin system within the warehouse
- In house baler enabling us to bale and recycle cardboard, plastic and shrink wrap
- Wood skip for collection and recycling
- Minimize use of packaging materials, particularly tape, plastic and shrink wrap
- Investment in portable banding machines
- Introduction of returnable packaging solutions
- Working with our supply partners to reduce waste coming in to our business
- Changing our ordering practices
- Most importantly - communicating the message throughout our business
We now collect and recycle a minimum 95% of all waste paper, cardboard, plastic/shrink wrap and wood generated within our business.
Whilst we are proud of the significant steps we have taken we firmly believe there is more to be done and we will continue to look to reduce our environmental impact wherever possible.